Sunday 17 June 2007

Talking to slugs

It's been a tough few days for which I must apologise. The slugs that normally reside in the small garden adjacent to the surgery have taken to exploring the surgery itself. Not a problem for Cookie who has taken to communing with them as they transit patients. She believes that they have as much right to be there as the patient does. George on the other hand has a taste for such creatures with his coffee break. As you can imagine, all hell has broken loose.

What does one do when caught in the middle? I consulted the zen monk who meditates beneath the beans in our very own garden. He never has told me his name and I respect the dignity that makes him do that. He told me to sit with him a little while. That was on Thursday and I've been there until now when I discovered somebody had taken to reading this blog. This alone surprised me as it is simply a greying dentist rambling to himself rather than his nurse. I was further surprised when I discovered the first blog had been recorded by Open Source Radio. I have asked Cookie if she could work out where to buy me a vinyl record of this. She told me that there was a bondage shop in the next town if I was into that sort of thing.

Sometimes I think there's a degree of in-communication between Cookie and me. But I'm optimistic this will change. Which is where the monk comes in. I've spent the last few days trying to reason with the slugs and will - after this brief blog -return to them. The monk said that if I could master slugs, I could master anything. But he was insistent I don't tell them to feed on his beans.


Update in a few days' time.

No comments: